Monday, September 17, 2012

Random Acts of Kindle Kindness Grows Dreams

During the month of August, I created Random Acts of KindleKindness.  The act entailed sending Kindle copies of Don’t Die with Your Song Unsung to friends, coworkers, clients, etc. 

To seed the Acts, I gave the executive director of the Fredrick Douglas Family Foundation $10 and told him to send copies to 10 people he thought would benefit from receiving the gift.  A few weeks later, I started receiving messages from the people he had gifted books. One lucky recipient was an administrator of a high school for inner city girls.  The administrator and I exchanged a number of emails.  We brainstormed possible ways to work together to bring Gary Russo and the message of the book to her girls, and possibility their parents.
I followed up with some ideas and received this message back:

“I must share with you this story. I am reading my student's journal and she writes: 
JOURNAL REFLECTION QUESTION: 

"When I look in the mirror, am I happy with what I see?"
RESPONSE:

"Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I am not happy with what I see. I see a girl who has been hiding the passion for singing for years, and it kills her inside..."
Talk about synchronicity!  I sent her your book...  will let you know.   :)”


 

No comments: